9.12.2008

Shopping & Babies

Yesterday my sister and I decided to head toward Portland to do a little shopping. I needed to return a few things and just felt like getting out of town. Natalie and Brad were up for it so they headed over around 11:00 and we were off. Two car seats, two giant diaper bags, one stroller, a baby Bjorn, and a sling...it looked like we were heading off for vacation.


The first stop was a great success! No crying, no diaper changes, just peaceful sleeping babes. We were feeling pretty confident, and even bragging a bit about what great future shoppers we had. Next on the agenda was Washington Square Mall.


Both babies would need to be fed soon so we headed in with the stroller for Maya and Brad in the sling, and did our best to combine our stuff into one bag. I remembered that Nordstrom has a great mother's lounge (fabulous!). About 20 minutes into lunch time for the babies Natalie realizes that brad had a major blowout, upon further investigation it was a 9 on a scale of 1 - 10. Through two layers of clothes and the sling...so naked brad is in the stroller, I am feeding Maya and Natalie is running out to the car for more clothes and a different baby carrier. She had been gone for 2 minutes when Maya projectile vomits all over me, all over herself, and all over the wonderful Nordstrom lounge chair...and Brad starts crying.


So here I am two crying babies covered in vomit and laughing hysterically, because what else can you do in this situation? Natalie returned and we spent the next 20 minutes attempting to make ourselves and our children presentable. I smelled horrible. The options were buy a new outfit and continue shopping or drive 45 minutes back home...I opted for the new outfit. So now with B in the stroller and little M in the baby Bjorn we sped over to Forever 21 (can you imagine seeing two moms with babies shopping at a store that is basically for teen age girls?). $16 later I had a new outfit and headed to the restroom. I rip the tags off and pull on the not so smelly new clothes only to realize that there was a hole in the new dress...that I had pulled the tags off of. Fabulous!


On our way home, Miss Maya decides about 10 minutes into the drive that she is starving (30 minutes earlier than normal) and begins to scream uncontrollably. Starbucks here we come. A 1/2 hour later back on the road....20 minutes later....more screaming from the back seat...pull over Molly to backseat and Natalie to the driver seat. 20 minutes later...home finally!


Lessons learned:


1. Take a lot of stuff with you everywhere

2. Take extra clothes for myself

3. Add Febreze to the diaper bag

4. Inspect clothing before ripping off tags

5. I think I need a bigger car!
The little angels before the big trip!


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Molly, that was a great write-up with such blow by blow description...ha! One caution about carrying so much stuff - it becomes a really tough habit to break and you find yourself always carrying extra bags of stuff around. Trust me, I'm still doing it! Love the pics of Maya and Brad, Aunt Sue and Uncle Dan

Stefanie said...

Sorry to say that you have arrived:) ha! There will be many a story like this in your future - hard work, lots of rewards:)

The last two days I watched my twin nephew and niece (27mos)...so needless to say, I had five children and LOTS of diapers, a very messy home and lots of kisses and hugs.

Stefanie said...

Molly, I also don't have your e-mail address, but really want you and Maya to join us at Connections - the moms group at church. We meet the 1st and 3rd Friday of each month (starting in Oct) from 9-10:30am. It's really fun I promise:)

Paige Lomas said...

I can't believe you attempted such an adventure...good for you and good for you for having such a great attitude! You are a great mom!

Sarri said...

That is just hilarious. I love that you and your sis get to share these great moments together. That will definitely be a 'forever' story. Love it!
P.S. My mom and I still want to stop by and bring Maya a little somethin'!

Heather said...

OMG! I can totally picture you doing the Molly shaking laugh with crying babies and soiled clothes everywhere! Great visual!

Erin Trimble said...

I was hysterical reading that, Molls! I love you two (and the babies that I have yet to meet :0( so much... Hang in there!

Lots of love, E

Chantel said...

Proud of you for adventuring out! And loved the lessons at the end. Oh yes, extra things in the car are always handy. Hopefully they are the right "extra" things. Can't wait to hold that precious girl!!! love all of us!

Esther K said...

Oh, Molly, this is hilarious! I'm so sorry! Don't you dare feel embarrassed either, all Moms can totally relate! You are now part of the gigantic diaper bag carrying club! Always prepared to expect the unexpected!

Our great adventure said...

We had so much fun with you guys! It was refreshing to hang out with such good friends and it was really fun to see you two as parents! You're doing great! I thought it was cute the next day Grace said "Ty Ty" and I wasn't sure what she was trying to say, and then she said "Mowee" (molly) and "baby". Out of the blue she was just chatting about you guys so I think she had fun too!