9.10.2008

True Perspective

Many times over the last year, specifically the last few weeks I have been reminded of the harder times people face and that I need to keep things in perspective. There are so many joyful things about being a new mom and also some trying times too. Last night, precious Maya, tested our wits, patience, and ability to operate without sleep. In the depths, of her screaming I kept thinking of my friend Natalie who lost her mom last Monday to a 5+ year battle with cancer. Monday I was able to attend her memorial service and it was amazing. I know amazing might be an odd word to describe this event, but it was truly beautiful and filled with joy. Although difficult for me to think of my great friend suffering what I can only imagine as the deepest kind of pain, I was really lifted up by all of the amazing things people had to say about her mother. The one line that will stick with me forever was this (the priest telling the crowd about running into Jeanne before he went to meet the Pope, he asked her if he could take a prayer for her health with him) "she told me to put her at the bottom of his list, that we should pray for all of the people in the world living without first, and for peace in the middle eastern countries..." The story continued, but what a statement. She had been truly suffering for over 5 years and over the past 6 months suffering daily, and still had the perspective to put herself last. (Of course I am completely a mess & crying now!) After the memorial service the family hosted a get together under a beautiful big tent with appetizers, beer and wine, and good music. People talked and told stories for hours. I could not imagine a better way to celebrate such a beautiful lady.

My other perspective story hits even closer to home. This weekend my auntie and two cousins from Bellingham came to see us. We lived with them for about a year, and absolutely LOVE any time we get to spend with them. Unfortunately we don't see them very often. My uncle is working in Hawaii for the month so it was just the girls on this visit. My cousins have an extremely rare genetic condition that delays their growth mentally and physically. It was so great getting to share Maya with all of them and my amazing aunt always reminds me to cherish every healthy moment and love all of the smallest of victories in our children. Good stuff.

Sorry for the overly emotional post but I am feeling very teary today and needed to get it out. Love blog therapy. Hope all is well with everyone.

M

6 comments:

Erin Trimble said...

Thinking of you, sister.

Love, E

Natalie said...

I love you molly, that is very very true. Im glad natalies mom service went good.


I want to come over tomorrow what are you doing?
<3 nat

Stacey said...

Oh honey, the tears are all worth it. you will remember this time forever. Crying is all a part of this motherhood game..... I check for pics of the baby often, she truly is beautiful. Watch out for those close fisted hands on maya, dynamite comes in very small packages!!!!
love to you all, Stacey

Esther K said...

Hang in there, the days and weeks just get better and better!!! We're thinking of you during this special time in your lives!

Paige Lomas said...

Do you know you release hormones when you cry...only women, not men? So, cry it out! Blog therapy is the best!

Aunt Susan said...

Molly You poor sweet girl. Your are a wonderful momma, kind, loving patient they just have minds of there own. Travis was fussy and sometime only wanted his momma. I just remember how sweet his little face was. Do what ever you feel is the right thing to do. It will get better. Love Aunt Susan