7.16.2008

4 Weeks Away

I suppose every expectant dad goes through this, but it clicked today that we are literally 4 weeks away from parenthood. [Insert word here for panic]. It started at work today, as I was sitting talking with a client. Through our conversation it came up that Moll and I are going to be parents, and when I told her that we were 36 weeks along, she nonchalantly said, "Wow. Any day now, huh?" My hands started sweating and my mouth went dry. It was the way she said it, as if it was expected that we were 100% ready, had the gas-tank full, first outfit picked out, hospital/diaper/emergency/extra-food-for-husband bag packed, and car seat installed. We don't even have the hospital bag.

After sticking my head between my knees, I relaxed and realized that when I was born, my parents were living in a trailer in The Dalles, Oregon, where I slept in a drawer. It happened to be that I had coffee with my friend, Clancy, this morning, and I think this was God's way of bringing me clarity. Clancy is the wisest man I know, and the topic of conversation this morning was Paul and the Galatians, and to put it relevantly, freedom from rules. I think when it comes to being ready for Baby, there are no rules. You're going to be as ready as you're going to be. (The hospital bag would help this.)

This is life on Birch Street. I hope life on your street finds you all well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So funny, yet so poignant! I love the comments, Ty, and I know that you will be the best dad ever! Look at how great our parents are... super examples. I love you!

Sis

Natalie said...

Tyler i agree with erin, You will be an amazing father, and molly is going to be an amazing mother as well. Your child will be so lucky to have you both and love is all they really need so no need to stress it will all be ok once it happens! And who knows you may have more time to prepare than you think! I hope not for mollys sake but..... you never know!
I love you both!

Stefanie said...

It was fun to see you at church!

You are looking adorable! I know it is tough - but you just don't even understand how AWESOME your first baby (all your babies) birth will be. Cherish every second and memorize every moment. Come home and write it all down if you can...

See you tomorrow night!

Also, glad you liked my sis-in-laws funny comment - she is a great gal!